Thursday, February 23, 2006
the dragon whips its tail
In an uncharacteristic departure from my general policy not to post pictures of myself, I'm publishing this picture to prove to my beloved friends that I indeed still live.
Here is a curtailed list of some of the things that have prevented me from writing anything:
Olympic curling, out of town visitors, karaoke, car wreck (okay maybe just a bump), grey goose martinis, 2 am chacharoni, Alee, huge fight with the BFF, minor fight with the dad, teaching, and did I mention olympic curling? All while ineffectively trying to make progress with my dissertation.
What I learned from all of this was that human relationships are require work. Sometimes if you're lucky, everything happens effortlessly so that there is a seamless flow between one's personal and professional life, but in most cases you have to make sacrifices to make one or the other succeed. And in the past week I've dropped the ball in showing how much my real friends mean to me.
So on a very personal note, I'd like to send out this belated Valentine's message to the following people:
1. To my "not-so-secret" admirer, thanks for the anatomically correct one pound chocolate heart. It is so grotesque/lovely that I cannot bring myself to eat it.
2. To the Hanscoms, my adopted family, thanks for being a constant in my life.
3. To Alleycat, thanks for making me miss you more.
4. To Kathleen, eat more sushi and call me in the morning.
5. To Walter and Lambda, I wait with bated breath for your visit.
6. Ditto for Anne.
7. To Lily, Happy Birthday.
8. To Rebecca, when life gives you lemons get your legs waxed.
9. To Strongsad, someday Marzipan will answer her phone. In the meantime, stop letting Homestar smoke so much.
10. To "the other Cho", I'll be in Boston in July.
11. Luigi, I know you're out there somewhere. I miss you.
12. And last of all, to the Xoo. Please don't be mad at me anymore. I'm not perfect but trying my best. I have a pig in a blanket and I'm at your door. If you hear me knocking, let me in.
Apologies to anyone else who is reading this. But sometimes you just have to bring it down and keep it real.
Posted by babibi at 11:47 AM