Tuesday, July 05, 2005

fore....th


Some people spend their Fourth of July weekend at picnics, grilling dogs, watching fireworks. Our family, the same one that on Thanksgiving has been known to roast a whole suckling pig on a spit over an open fire instead of turkey, chooses to play a punishing 54 holes of golf over a two day period. This course was the most expensive course I've ever played at. The telltale marker of a nice course is that the greens are wicked and the fairways swallow a lot of balls. But for that kind of money I expect a full body rubdown with a complimentary martini waiting for you at the clubhouse. While golfing may seem like an elite activity, especially when you're forking over a couple of benjamins just to be hitting a little white ball into sand traps, I realize that it's actually a game of the masses as evidenced by the severe redneck tans that we were all sporting by the end of the day. Pass me a chicken wing and a PBR. For most people, golfing also inspires a good dose of humility. All except for my normally self-effacing brother who saw this photo and said to me "Look, perfect stance, perfect backswing, perfect form. There's not a single thing wrong with this picture." I guess all those years of therapy finally paid off.

No comments: